Galatians 6:10 - As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all [men], especially unto them who are of the household of faith.
The Benevolence Ministry fulfills the ministry of care and compassion. It offers prayer and provides financial aid to an individual or family who is in need on an urgent basis. We want to help individual (s) with the most critical need. Priority will be given to PGBC members.
DEFINING BENEVOLENCE: Benevolence is a ministry of care and compassion that aids persons in times of need. The ministry of benevolence is rooted in the following biblical passages: Matthew 25:35-45; Acts 2:44-45; Galatians 2:10; 1 John 3:17-18
MEMBERSHIP: The Benevolence Ministry is composed of the, three members of the congregation recommended by the Pastor.
- Chairperson: Joann McCain
- Committee Members: Deacon Willie Creeks & Barbara Trussell
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Benevolence Ministry has the following responsibilities:
- Determine, organize, and administer a ministry of compassion that will assist persons in times of need.
- Aid with the following: a) food; b) clothing; c) lodging; d) funeral expenses (food & flowers only; e) medicine; g) other needs as appropriate.
- Receive and process benevolence requests with compassion and confidentiality.
- Members of the Benevolence Ministry will not participate in distribution decisions involving family members.
- Develop a Benevolence Request application, as a vehicle to track, investigate, and process requests.
- Recommend benevolence contributions to agencies that aid (e.g. homeless shelters, food pantries, Red Cross, Salvation Army).
- Disburse benevolence funds directly to provider or by vouchers (no cash disbursements).
- Submit an Annual Report.
SOURCE OF BENEVOLENCE FUNDS:
- Church offerings
- Special Contributions
TYPES OF ASSISTANCE:
Please see the Chairperson or one of the members for the Guidelines and Benevolence Request Form.